Decision Making Rules

As we discussed in our meeting, we need to more clearly define and ouline our decision rules for student acheivement and progress. HERE is the document/module that I mentioned where we can learn more about it. Section 5 has the information specific to this topic, but I found the rest of the document to be quite interesting and helpful as....

"The purpose of this module is to help Leadership Teams undertake those support activities that
are necessary if classroom teachers are going to develop and effectively use student progress
monitoring data to increase achievement."

......which we have learned is the ultimate goal of RtI.

Zoe Laughing


RtI meeting notes 4/9/09

RtI meeting notes 4/9/09:

~We reviewed the Elementary triangles for math, reading and behavior.
~Darrin and Alicia presented the academic triangles for Middle School reading, writing, math and behavior.
~Decided to implement a writing assessment in 3rd-5th grades in the Fall, Winter and Spring for teachers to use to guide instruction and collect data (we would love to use the MyAccess writing program that the middle school uses, but found it would be problematic for younger students due to lack of keyboarding skills. (*Personally, Zoe would like to see keyboarding implemented in the elementary.) We decided to go back to the Seminole Writes format and are going to create a consistent rubric for grading these to be able to show growth in problem areas and for teachers to see trends of skill deficits and/or strengths in their classrooms. Alicia will look into the rubrics used for 3-5 in the My Access program to try and create more consistency between elementary and middle in terms of writing curriculum.
~Discussed the need for a data collection method for ODRs and for other problematic behaviors not warranting an ODR (using existing Nole Note system or possibly Blackboard if it has that capability.)
~We completed the district level implementation guide to the point that we are ready to go with it for next year. There are some blanks left to be filled, but these will remain this way as we go forward with implementation because we cannot anticipate them at this point and will need to reflect on implementation effectiveness to do so.
~Mr. Trafford brought up the point that the district plan will need to include language specific to Pembroke Pines. We discussed having them up for a training using the RtI model we are creating. Ms. Mahoney thinks this could be done in conjunction with a proposed training she will be conducting with them on using the PEER online IEP system (Fall 2009 or Spring 2010.)
~We would like for Middle School teachers to form content area teams and Elementary School teachers to form grade level teams. The teams' purpose will be to meet collaborate on differentiating instruction and setting goals based on the outcomes of student data.
~We would like for the APs to require data collection from teachers in the Fall, Winter and Spring to encourage teachers to begin collecting data. We are working with Rob Lenagher to provide them with an electronic collection system, as well as a paper system to make it easier for them to do so. This system will also create graphical representations of data to meet the state requirements that teachers share results of assessment with parents in an easy to understand format that shows the students achievement and progress in relation to typical peers. This system will also provide teachers a tool to see classwide achievement and progress in their classes so that they can reflect on results to make needed changes (this will ensure quality instruction for students and a healthy Tier 1 system, which is the foundation of RtI.)
~We would also like the APs to require teachers to use the same PMP for all elementary teachers and for middle school teachers to ensure consistency across grade levels.
~We discussed the idea of using the Blackboard system to organize and file our RtI documents online so that the team and FSUS teachers can access them without making them available to the public since they are a work in progress and subject to change.
~We decided that once completed we would present the district level and school building level plans to Dr. Wicker and the Principal and APs for their input and feedback.
~Darrin is going to call the current MS math curriculum publisher to see if we can get a training for the MS math teachers, specifically for interventions in Tier 1.
~Alicia is going to call the current MS Language Arts curriculum publisher for the same reason.
~Zoe will contact FIDLRS and FIN to inquire about trainings for teachers to help them learn how to organize and manage small groups to allow them the ability to differentiate instruction.
~Zoe and Treeva will meet with Rob Lenagher to continue assisting him in the grade level data collection methods he is working on and to update him on the info we need to add based on this meeting.
~The whole team will be attending the next state RtI meeting in Tallahassee on May 7th.

Agenda for next meeting:
~Schoolwide implementation guide (please review this and make notes based on the work we have already done.) We will begin working on the master copy at our next meeting on May 14th.
~Review documents and flowcharts created by Zoe and Stephanie for inclusion in RtI/CST process.
~Discuss current progress and gaps to fill in the creation of our academic data collection system.
~Blackboard for RtI/CST documents?
~Discuss new information learned at the statewide RtI meeting on May 7th and how it related to FSUS.


RtI meeting synopsis 3/3/09


At our meeting today the RtI team formulated ways to collect FSUS-specific information that will be factored into our RtI plan. This includes Core reading & math curriculums, supplemental intervention programs, behavior supports and ways to collect assessment data (including universal universal screening, progress monitoring and targeted diagnostic.)
Collecting and organizing these enables us to see where we have specific gaps that need to be filled in and how each missing component affects the others (for example, we identified that there is no consistent math curriculum in elementary which makes it hard to develop universal screenings which gives us no starting point for progress monitoring, an so on.)

We also reviewed the curriculum maps put into place for grades 6-8 school for language arts and math and discussed the ways that progress monitoring monitoring can be built into them. We have a plan to do this in the elementary for our Core reading and the statewide reading assessment that begins next year (Juanita, our elementary reading coach is heading this up) but to my knowledge we haven't gotten very far with our math map.

In addition, we have outlined a form that we will create in Excel that will include all pre-existing relevant data collection points for individual individual students compared to identified targets with standardized assessments or 80% achievement achievement on CBMs. This is per the new statute which will require graphical representation of data to present to families. We will also include classroom numbers so that we can evaluate how each classroom is doing as a whole, which will help us know if there is a need to improve and streamline instructional practices or if the individual student is performing well below peers. This will be available to teachers in electronic format or as a hard copy.
We have determined that class wide class wide data should be used to implement interventions within Tier 1 per the Standard Protocol Model of RtI.

~Thanks to all that were there.

For specific questions, please comment to this blog


FSU COE & FCRR presentation on RtI

Dr. Stephanie Al Otaiba from FSU COE and Florida Center for Reading Research was the guest researcher at the FSUS board meeting on 1/19/09.  Her presentation was about Response to Intervention and could be helful to read as we develop our own plan. Here is the PowerPoint document that she presented.
*Thanks to Dr. Wicker for sending out this resource*





The document loaded above is a District policy template which we can use to guide our implementation policies. This should be the first document we handle when we meet in January. Please download this document and review prior to the meeting.